When I transitioned from relaxed to natural hair, I jumped right in with a big chop. Having a close cut didn't bother me because I'd done it twice before. Also, short hair works well with my face so I wasn't worried about how it would change my look and since the big chop, I really haven't put much thought into my hair. I've continued to get it cut and faded on a not so regular basis. Recently, I've been thinking about letting it grow. For real this time! Every time I consider growing my hair out, I end up taking the convenient route by getting it cut again. There's nothing wrong with wearing a twa (teeny weeny afro), but consider this, I'm a woman and women change hairstyles like we change shoes, handbags and earrings. Feeling the need to do something new, I decided to do a search for twist outs and my search is what resulted in me watching dozens of YouTube videos today.
Along with enjoying the videos, which I must say were made by truly natural beauties, I also paid close attention to the products they were using. I was completely overwhelmed (in a good way) to see the progress they made with regards to styling and hair growth. Now I'm on the bandwagon. It's time for a grow out.
Here are the products I'm currently using/trying:
- Miss Jessie's Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo
- Miss Jessie's Sweetback Deep Conditioning Treatment
- Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme
- Hollywood Beauty Argon Oil (I just started using this.)
- Jamaican Mango and Lime Cactus Gro (I just started using this.)
- Eco Styler Gel
- Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition 3-Minute Undo
- Jamaican Mango and Lime Lock Twist Gel
- Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner (most users recommend adding oil to the product)
- Suave Coconut Cleansing Conditioner (WOW!)
- Cush Cosmetics curly hair products
As I continue through my natural hair journey, I'm will definitely try some of the recommended products and I will do more posts about my discoveries. In the meantime, if you've used any of these products or can put me up on other products for natural hair, it will be very much appreciated. Until then, stay up.